We are a semi-young, innovative landscape design studio – comprised of a husband & wife duo and various talented freelancers - looking for a driven and organised individual to join our practice in the pivotal role of Studio Manager. The position is focussed on the smooth running of the studio, the development, implementation and management of operational, administrative and HR processes, as well as dedicated support for two the Directors.
The successful applicant will become part of a laid back but hard working and creative environment, where the team works on a wide variety of projects, both small and large, public and private, for a range of clients and often working with architects and specialist craftspeople. Our peaceful, homely studio is located in Bethesda, Gwynedd. No two days will be the same and the candidate is expected to be proactive, flexible and a natural problem solver with the ability to manage varying demands and personalities.
Candidates are invited to apply only with proven team management, administrative and financial management experience. A background education and/or experience in a field associated with architecture, design or horticulture is preferable but not essential.
Meticulous attention to detail, an interest in developing a robust understanding of the industry, excellent IT proficiency and a highly organised approach will ensure success in the role. In return, you’ll enjoy a varied and interesting position in a creative environment at a pivotal time of professional growth. We are on the brink of pushing the practice up a notch or two, professionally, and we will now need a wonderful Studio Manager to help us realise this growth – it is an exciting time!
Summary of the main responsibilities (not all-encompassing):
• Answer and manage the inbox and any post
• Manage the design library and press archive
• Manage maintenance and renewal of key utility contracts in place for the studio, including council tax, water, gas & electricity etc.
• Management of IT, phone and software providers, including maintenance and renewal of key software packages, troubleshooting, managing user access etc.
• Order stationery and supplies
• Keeping the studio tidy and well ordered
• Assist with recruitment and manage on-boarding process for new starters
• Maintain company policies and procedures
• Book-keeping responsibilities using Xero and Dext, including logging expenses and invoices, invoicing clients, paying bills, chasing overdue invoices
• Liaising with our Accounting firm
• Tracking and paying quarterly VAT
• Tracking and reporting on financial targets
• Assist in the preparation of the company and Director’s tax returns with the Accountants.
Design Team Support & Administration
• Manage design team to ensure project progression and timely delivery including running a weekly team meeting
• Translate company vision into measurable goals and targets and bring team members on board with this
• Respond to all new and existing client email enquiries in a timely manner.
• Set up project files, ensure all information is downloaded and systems are updated accordingly and manage archiving.
• Keep internal filing systems and tracking software up to date and monitor team contributions and project progression
• Assist design team with ad hoc administrative tasks
• Assist with the day to day running of the studio by providing administrative support to Directors – screening enquiries and requests etc
• Organise diary of Directors to ensure smooth running of design projects and overall productivity
• Scheduling and overseeing organisation of business trips and meetings with clients and contacts
• Assist Directors on specific developmental projects, as appropriate
Marketing & PR
• Assist in preparing and maintaining content for company website and social media accounts, which may include writing content, as appropriate
• Assist the design team in producing marketing materials, as appropriate
• Build and manage a press list, draw up and progress press and editorial ideas for the practice
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £28,900 pro rata (equivalent to £15/hr)
Schedule: 20 hrs/wk, some flexibility around how the hours are organised over the week.
Terms: Statutory holiday, maternity/paternity and sick pay applies. We are happy to try and accommodate a working schedule to suit your life commitments.
Work Location: Predominantly in person at our studio in Bethesda, Gwynedd. Some remote working flexibility.
Experience & Education:
• Administrative: 5 years + (preferred)
• Team management: 2 years + (preferred)
• HR qualification/experience (preferred)
• Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
Application format: CV, cover letter and two references
Application deadline: 12/11/2023 (midnight)
Interviews: Interviews will be held at our studio in Bethesda on 27th and 28th November